Hi lovelies! I took an unofficial hiatus because this month was very rough for me following the death of a close friend, a funeral on my birthday, exam week, and my Christmas family get-together all in a row. There honestly hasn’t been much of a break for me at all and I ended up putting my blog on the back burner in order to put all of my focus on the tumultuous events in my life for the past 4 weeks. My biggest New Years resolution is to work on my time management skills, and that includes making time specifically for blogging and improving my overall blogging experience by being active and present in this community. Thank you guys so much for sticking with me through this crazy year and for being an awesome, welcoming presence always. Love you guys.
Tomorrow marks one year of blogging for me, and hoo boy has it been a year! Jumping on a fun looking bandwagon here: Jamie @ Perpetual Page Turner has her 7th annual end of the year book survey up now, and I’m excited to see what my own answers are for this book tag. Check out her page for a blank question format to use on your own post, and to see her answers and other fabulous posts!
2017 Reading Stats
Number Of Books You Read: Total, 178, according to Goodreads.
Number of Re-Reads: Hoo boy, probably too many. I re-read a total of 48 books this year, including all of Ilona Andrews’ books and all of Patricia Briggs’ books set in the Mercy Thompson universe. Those were during some rough weeks, but it was totally worth it.
Genre You Read The Most From: Fantasy, with the sub-genres Urban Fantasy and YA Fantasy most of all.
Best in Books
1. Best Book You Read In 2016?
I have not shut up about any of these books since I read them. I reread ACOMAF four times. Four times, in 3 different formats. Can you say addicted?
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read?
I definitely didn’t know what to expect when I picked up all of these books, and I put them down feeling surprise and joy from what an experience they all were.
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)?
5. Best series you started in 2016? Best Sequel of 2016? Best Series Ender of 2016?
As much as I loved The Dream Thieves, ACOMAF was unquestionably the best sequel of 2016, hands down. The Raven Boys was definitely the beginning of the best series I started in 2016, and The Raven King was such an incredible ending to the series.
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2016?
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
Magical realism, BDSM, and memoir are all pretty unconventional genres for me, but these books were surprisingly touching and I enjoyed them a lot more than I expected to.
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/un-put-down-able book of the year?
9. Book You Read In 2016 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
All of these books have sequels coming out in 2017, so you know for a fact I will be rereading these books AGAIN in preparation for the destroying of my heart.
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2016?
11. Most memorable character of 2016?
The entire Inner Circle from ACOMAF. Also, look at this art!! Hot dang!! Please check out all of the gorgeous artwork on Charlie’s Etsy because I am constantly blown away by it.
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2016?
This might seem like a weird entry, but I seriously loved this book and each individual story was so phenomenally well constructed. Simply beautiful writing.
13. Most Thought-Provoking/Life-Changing Book of 2016?
I wrote a 13-page paper on A People’s History this semester, and it rocked.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2016 to finally read?
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2016?
“There are good days and hard days for me—even now. Don’t let the hard days win.”
I’m getting the bold part tattooed on me (eventually…) to remind me of what I personally need to overcome.
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2016?
17. Book That Shocked You The Most
I yelled, out loud, “OH MY GOD NO NO NO” at all of these at some point or another. I also fell out of my chair in surprise while reading EoS, which feels like an accomplishment.
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)
Jesper & Wylan are definitely a ship I will sink with, no question.
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
Blue Sargent and Noah Czerny. Hands down.
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2016 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
21. Best Book You Read In 2016 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
I didn’t want to read this because of how bored I was by A Court of Thorns and Roses, but my roommate said this was one of her favorite books of the year. Lo and behold, I’ve read it four times by now. Thanks, Tara!!
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2016?
Look at JoPainter and this OBSCENELY GORGEOUS Rhysand fanart. My heart.
23. Best 2016 debut you read?
24. Best World Building/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2016?
I actually cried at all of these, and I think about those scenes A LOT.
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2016?
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
I almost didn’t finish either of these. The phrase that comes to mind is honestly “I’m not mad, just disappointed.”
Your Blogging Life
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2016?
Honestly all of you are new to me because I’ve only been blogging for a year. This list will hopefully be an actual list next year.
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2016?
My review for Queen of Shadows was definitely the most fun post to write.
3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?
4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
The Beauty and the Beast Book Tag. Not an event, but the very best.
5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2016?
When I hit 100 followers.
6. Most challenging thing about blogging or your reading life this year?
Writer’s block, and when outside life got in the way of blogging.
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
Queen of Shadows! Not a lot of people read it, but man, did I like it.
9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
NetGalley. I can’t believe it took me until this year to discover that website, but it is a gift.
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
My Goodreads challenge was 150 books, and I am very proud of myself for doing that.
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2016 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2017?
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2017 (non-debut)?
3. 2017 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2017?
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2017?
I really, really want to do the Beat the Backlist challenge.
6. A 2017 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone:
Share your own answers in the comments below! Happy New Year!!